Wednesday, April 27, 2011

iPad2 is Great, But...

Well,  I finally got around to testing and utilizing the iPad2. I've now used it on the road, plane, and one foreign country.  I tried it as a replacement to my laptop while on the road, a business tool, a means of entertainment, and reader.  I can say it looks cool and makes me even look like a cool techie (okay maybe not that cool).

If you think you are concerned with breaking the glass on your iPhone, just imagine worrying about the iPad screen.  I had hoped that Apple was going with the gorilla glass we had seen so much about the last couple of years.  I did like the new case/stand/cover that Apple came up with, but when spending that kind of dough, I only trust OtterBox. No, they have never given me anything, but their cases have protected my and the family's iphones; and their warrant is outstanding.

With all of the above considered, for me, the iPad2 makes a great net book replacement.  The price is competitive, the picture is wonderful, Netflix is great with it, etc.  I really enjoyed the entertainment aspect, especially watching Netflix over the free wifi while staying in hotels.

There always has to be a "but" and here it is. I can say that while it is fast, convenient, and easy to use, it is not a replacement for my Mac Book Pro while on the go.  As a matter of fact, having an iPhone4 in conjunction with my 13" Pro is actually easier to travel with while conducting business.  This became even more the fact with the iPhones ability to become a hot spot (but thats a later story).  Over the course of my testing, I found myself in need of my laptop more often than not; and when I didn't need my laptop, the iPhone would have worked just as well as the iPad.

I enjoyed the experience, but the iPad2 was not a keeper for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment